Cleaning your braces cannot be overstated. If they aren’t clean or fall into disrepair, you can’t expect them to deliver the full functionality for which they were designed. Here are a few tips to keep your braces in proper working condition:
– Foods like some kinds of fruit and nuts can easily become lodged between your teeth and your braces. It’s important to clean them as soon as possible after this happens to avoid tooth decay.
-Evade sticky substances such as caramel or chewing and hard substances like whole apples while wearing braces. These substances can become stuck and bend or break a wire or bracket.
– Wearing braces does not stop you from caring for your smile, so continue to brush and floss daily.
– Don’t participate in high-risk activities or sports without first ensuring that you are properly wearing the needed amount of safety gear and equipment to keep your smile safe.
– Don’t leave your retainer in too long; it can become contaminated with bacteria. Rinse it daily and deep clean it with toothpaste at least once weekly.
– If you you accidentally break your braces, do not attempt to fix them on your own. Instead, protect the area with orthodontic wax and call Santa Monica Orthodontics as soon as possible.
– Never skip meetings or checkups with your orthodontist. If you know of any conflicts with your adjustments, call to reschedule with us and we will do our best to accommodate you.
If you need to book an adjustment appointment at Santa Monica Orthodontics in Santa Monica, California, you can call 310-393-3344. Dr. Rehana Khan and the rest of our team will be glad to take care of your orthodontic needs today!